Making my bookcase more "grown up"

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The most untouched/unused place in my bedr00m is my large built-in bookcase. I just don't know what to do with it. Most of its shelves are not tall enough to accommodate certain things, like binders! Or the Harry Potter hardcovers. Even though I didn't move into this room until 2005, the shelves are still filled with colorful childhood books, like Polly Pocket and The Boxcar Children (love them!!!) because they're the only short books that fit.

Unfortunately, I bought some more stuff from TJMaxx when I returned my blanket but if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have been willing to do a big cleaning.


Silver photo frame: $6.99
Black photo frame: $7.99
Potpourri: $6.99 ea
Glass jars: $9.99 ea
Small jar: $5.00

Okay this crap was expensive in total but if it got me to finally clear/dust my bookcase, it was totally worth it!!! And although I bought these a couple of days ago, I've been busy so I put off finishing up the cleaning until today. Which means I've been living in a junkyard for the past two days ha.

Before:

After:
everything just looks better in daylight

I purged a lot of untouched books but there are still some things I'm not ready to part with. I moved the shoe boxes from under my TV to the bookcase as fillers. So now those shelves are empty too. 

I forgot to take a "before" of the front view. But since this was taken Sept. 2007, it's nice to see how it has transformed throughout the years.

2007:
those SAT books give away the age of the picture

2012:

My favorite part is how I didn't really use anything new here. The black frames made a huge difference and I think they contrasted well with the white magazine holders at the bottom ($1.99/5 pack at Ikea). It's not perfect but I think it served the title's mission.


I  really love the edited version of flowers. Now it looks fresh! Fake, but fresh.

-Debbie

Share This Post

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...