DIY: Quick 'n Easy Drawer Dividers

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Took a little break from working on an essay and went to the bathroom to take off my contacts. Considering that I didn't even step out of the house today, I'm not sure why I put them on in the first place but the computer screen was drying my eyes out. As I pulled my contact lens solution out of the bathroom junk drawer, it occurred to me how out of hand it had become. No bueno! Junk drawer no more.

In October 2010, I did an overhaul of my unorganized bathroom vanity that was starting to become my art supply storage. I spent around $60 and went from having no organization to an organized counter top that was easy on the eyes. I wish I had proper before-after pictures with the same lighting and angle but this is the closest it'll get.

Oct '10:                                                                       Oct '10 - Mar '11:
      

It was a work in progress for some time. This mini-makeover was my pride and joy (still is!) and has proved to be effective and functional for the past 1.5 years, making my mornings stress-free and my nighttimes easier. But I'm still a messy person at heart--I just try very hard not to be.

So come 2012, while mostly everything has stayed the same, my little junk drawer has gotten so overwhelmed!


I needed an instant solution so I gathered:

  • foamcore
  • x-acto knife 
  • cutting mat (or cardboard)
  • t-square
  • straight-edge
  • ruler
  • pen/pencil to mark
Time: 30 minutes

I set out to make temporary drawer dividers. The closest product that I had to being waterproof was foamcore (which is plastic on styrofoam). I measured the inner length and width of the drawer.


Then I cut out those lengths.


Because I wanted my sectionals to be movable, I made the length of the drawer shorter than the dividers so that they could be inserted overhead. The foamcore I had was 3/8" thick so I cut out a 3/8" thick piece in the middle of the width. I made the height of the cut as tall as the height of the length that I cut out.


So here are my instant dividers! I inserted the cuts over the length and I was able to move them around as needed.

(the mess)

Before:                                                                          After:

I've sorted it by face wash, nighttime supplies, weekly use, rarely used, etc. and of course, the huge contact lens solution gets its own cozy nook!

It's not a big difference but making this was fast, free, and hopefully will be functional for the time being. Time can only tell! Okay, back to that essay.

-Debbie

Share This Post

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...